Office: (212) 729-0085
Direct Line: (646) 706-2482
Fax: (212) 849-0962
Address: 535 Fifth Avenue, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10017
Mr. Boies has successfully represented individual and corporate clients in jury and bench trials all across the country relating to many widely reported commercial and white-collar crime cases in State and Federal Courts. Moreover, Mr. Boies has frequently been retained to provide training and strategic and day-to-day advice to clients regarding such matters as corporate and government investigations, arbitrations, regulatory and administrative enforcement proceedings, collective bargaining, labor issues in domestic and international corporate transactions, responding to union organizational campaigns, drafting and enforceability of restrictive covenants, exemptions under the Fair Labor Standards Act, entitlements to leave and overtime, reductions in force, individual and group exit incentives and separation packages, and compliance with the full range of other statutory and regulatory requirements facing employers today.
Mr. Boies is also an experienced litigator individual, class and collective actions, having represented both employees and employers before state and federal courts and administrative bodies. For instance, as the lead trial lawyer, in Atkins v. Metronome Events, Inc., et al, No. 650203/2014 (N.Y. Supt. Ct. March 26, 2018), Mr. Boies brought a lawsuit under New York Labor Law on behalf of an employee alleging that the employee is entitled to: (1) unpaid tips or gratuities; (2) liquidated damages; (3) pre-judgment and post-judgment interests; and (4) attorney’s fees and costs. After several weeks of a jury trial, the jury rendered a resounding verdict on behalf of the employee on all the allegations. The employers then asked the trial Court to throw out the verdict. The trial Court denied the employers’ motion. The employers then appealed. On October 6, 2020, the Appellate Court, a three-judge panel, unanimously affirmed the judgment.
More importantly, Mr. Boies has represented clients in cases related to violations of many bedrock provisions of civil rights laws, including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which commit our Nation to, inter alia, racial equality. Mr. Boies believes that everyone is entitled to live, work, vote, and pursue their dreams in an environment free of any kinds of discrimination regardless of their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, economic status, or marital status. He has worked tirelessly to further that commitment.
Mr. Boies, a native of Haiti, speaks Haitian Creole and French. Away from the practice of law, he enjoys spending time with friends and volunteering in his community. He is former Chairman of the Business Advisory Board for Metropolitan College of New York’s School for Business, member of the Hospitality and Minorities in the Courts Committees of the New York City Bar Association.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE & PRACTICES
- Obtained major jury verdict on behalf of waitstaff against the defendants, several high-profile banquet venues and their owners, for non-payment of tips and gratuities to the waitstaff in violation of New York Labor Law;
- Successfully defended several defendants in breach of contract and fraud claims in Superior Court of New Jersey;
- Represented defendant in allegations of conspiracy to defraud the United States, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and wire fraud against the United States;
- Represented plaintiffs in federal trademark lawsuit alleging unfair competition, willful infringement and deceptive tactics under the Lanham Act;
- Represented plaintiffs in motion to quash subpoenas issued by New York State Office of the Medicaid Inspector General;
- Litigation (e.g. Police Brutality, Personal Injury, Legal and Medical Malpractices, Employment Law, Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property, Product Liability, Antitrust, and Civil Rights);
- Commercial/Business Transactions (e.g. Merger & Acquisition);
- Investigations (e.g. Department of Labor, FBI, Securities Frauds, etc.);
- Independent and government investigations, and regulatory enforcement matters;
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, J.D.
- North Carolina Central University School of Library Sciences, M.L.S.
- Metropolitan College of New York, B.S.
- All New York State Courts
- All New Jersey State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
LAWYER & PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- American Bar Association – Member
- New York City Bar Association – Member
- New York State Bar Association – Member
- The National Black Lawyers – Member
- Delta Mu Delta – Honorary Member